Re: [LAU] 64 bit systems

From: Tim Blechmann <tim@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 28 2009 - 21:15:22 EEST

> 64 Studio would seem like an obvious choice but because I would like
> to have VST's available, I seem to recall that is a possible issue?
>
> Beyond that, is there any other advantage(s) to using a x64 OS other
> than RAM access beyond 4gb? Is there any 32 bit OS performance
> degradation when installed on a x64 machine?

audio applications benefit from the increased number of available
registers ... e.g. biquad filters can be computed entirely in registers
without moving temporal data to the stack ...
with my performance system (combination of supercollider and nova), i
experienced a speedup of about 30%, when switching from an ia32 to an
x86_64 system ...

tim

--
tim@email-addr-hidden