Re: [LAU] MTC syncing Ardour to hardware sequencer as a slave

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 29 2009 - 01:22:21 EEST

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 1:33 AM, Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> I'm probably missing something dumb here.  Is there anything that could
>> cause Ardour to track forward and backward seeks through the timeline
>> but not start and stop?  It sounds like it's not getting MMC to me,
>> except it should be -- it's enabled at both ends.  I'm puzzled.
>
> Turn on the trace option in the MIDI Tab of the Preferences dialog.
> See what arrives (it will show up (for now) in the terminal window
> where you start ardour).

I'm still at work, but this brings to mind an interesting question:

Is it better to route such things as MTC and MMC through JackMidi, or
would it cause problems to use AlsaMidi instead. Also, is it better to
deal with 'seq' or 'raw' ports in QJackCtl, and in Ardour configs?

I'm just wondering if there's something about MMC that wouldn't pass
through the Alsa sequencer for some reason, that needs raw device
access.

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky