Re: [LAU] some live tracks - need some advice

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 30 2009 - 14:22:56 EEST

Frank Neumann wrote:

>> http://linux-sound.org/audio/I_Dont_Know_Your_Name.ogg
>>

> I'm definitely no sound/eq/mastering expert in any way, so I won't comment on
> the bass issue, but just one very quick thing I noticed: In "I don't know
> your name", I think your voice is too loud, too much in the foreground, which
> unnecessarily "hides" the other musicians in the mix.

I agree. I don't know how Craig (the soundman) has the recording system
arranged, i.e. I have no idea what he's doing with EQ and other
settings. However, the place is a coffee shop with a capacity of about
~60 customers, and Craig always favors the voice. He's been running
instruments through the board too, but the sound out front is always
well-balanced and never too loud. Coffee Amici's Web site has some nice
photos of the place, you can get some idea of the environment from the
shots:

    http://www.coffeeamici.com

> Apart from that, "as usual from you" this is solid, well-done blues - nice
> music that has just found its way into my $HOME/media/ogg/DavePhillips/
> archive. Keep on torturing 'em strings :-).

Will do, sir. :) Thanks for listening, Frank, and thank you for your
always-welcome comments.

Best,

dp