Re: [LAU] phasex-0.12.0-pre1

From: <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 30 2009 - 22:40:26 EEST

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 04:55:27 -0700 (PDT)
William Weston <weston@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Announcing phasex-0.12.0-pre1:
>
> The pre-release is here. It's stable. It builds cleanly. No build
> errors or warnings. No runtime errors or crashes. No glitches.
> If no bugs are found in the next week, then this code (with the
> addition of some brand-new patches) will become the stable release.
>

> Changes since phasex-0.12.0-beta4:
>
> - Build system overhaul. GCC version detection for better arch-
> specific optimization (compiles clean with gcc-3.4.x or higher).
> Atom builds fall back to next-best optimizations for GCC < 4.5.x.
> New --enable-32bit and --cpu-power-level= flags and better user
> variable handling for ./configure. Missing -lpthread in link phase
> is fixed.
>
> - Velocity control for the amplifier. Better aftertouch handling.
>
> - Scheduling policy defaults to SCHED_RR, and can be changed in the
> settings at runtime.
>
> - Broken ringbuffer code has been fixed. No more glitches (unless you
> have actually run out of CPU).
>
> - Theme loading has been fixed. Now properly detects if the nodoka
> theme engine is installed, and quietly falls back to an engineless
> theme.
>
> - Fullscreen and Maximize interaction have been fixed.
>
> - New command line options: -m (--midi-channel=), -f (--fullscreen),
> and -M (--maximize). Loading a patch by name or by program number
> on the command line now finds the appropriate patch in the
> patchbank.
>
> - The lurking patch name corruption bug has been fixed!
>
> - And more. See the ChangeLog for details...
>

> Download phasex and hear for yourself...
>
> http://sysex.net/phasex/
>
> Alternatively, you can utilize the git repositoty:
>
> git clone http://sysex.net/git/phasex.git
>

> Cheers,
> --ww

Hi William, congratulations to the release.
I updated the package in the Arch Linux user repository and will do so
for archaudio.org soon.

I also played with it a bit.
It works well but I have a little problem and some suggestions.

1) When I change the theme to 'System' I get the dark theme instead.

2) There's a little inconsistency when changing values by keyboard. For
most values changing the focus by tab or clicking on some other control
moves the knob, the vale really gets changed. With ratios you need to
hit enter to have the knob move.

3) Moving around with tab is quite weird, the order in each block is
clear but the blocks appear to be in a rather random order.

4) I'm not very experienced at programing synths and have a hard time
creating sensible patches. I think a relatively crude signal flow
diagram could already help someone like me in the attempts to create
patches.

Best regards,
Philipp