Re: [LAU] some live tracks - need some advice

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 02 2009 - 16:07:04 EEST

Bengt Gördén wrote:

> For Daves ogg-files I suggest a very simple (takes about 30 sec) EQ setting.
> (I used jamin)
>
> 0 - 120Hz cut off the low base.
> 900Hz - 2000Hz with centre freq cut about 30dB
> 4500Hz - 20kHz enhance about 10dB
>
> Experiment with the settings and find your own settings. But I find these
> settings less muffled and more crisp. YMMV.

Hi Bengt,

I finally got around to testing your settings, thank you for sending
them. Some notes on how I heard the changes:

0 - 120Hz cut off the low bass - I didn't cut much. As someone else
pointed out, the loss of the bass affects other characteristics of the
sound.

900Hz - 2000Hz with centre freq cut about 30dB - Ja, the standard cut.
Sounds good when I cut lightly, not so good with too deep a cut.

4500Hz - 20kHz enhance about 10dB - Big differences with these settings
in this range. Much better cymbal sounds, much brighter sound overall.

Btw, I tested these settings with the WAV and OGG versions. The OGG file
got the greater assist, but IMO both were improved by a little EQ trickery.

Best,

dp