Re: [LAU] AVLinux question

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 03 2009 - 00:03:40 EEST

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 16:43:45 -0400
Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 22:27:17 +0200
> Giorgio <anomalsound@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > I know what you don't use now, what about telling me what you use? Do you
> > agree with arnold 10, 01 1?
>
> Right now I don't use any RAIDing or striping on my studio machine. I
> have 3 hard drives and a CD-RW (it's still IDE-based). One drive's my
> OS drive, one's my /tape drive with active sessions, and one's my
> /tapebak drive with backups of active sessions and archives for older
> sessions.
>
> I have an rsync job that writes anything that's changed over to my
> fileserver, which does use RAID 1+0 (mirrored and striped) to give me
> both large filesystems and disk redundancy.

My (highly limited) experience of RAID has been entirely negative - and
that's with out apparently using it :o

On two occasions now, I've tried to do what I thought was a perfectly
normal update on debian based systems which has resulted in something
called mdadm being upgraded, at which point it seems the entire
filesystem gets hosed :(

My policy these days is to make removal of mdadm the very first thing I
do after an install to a new machine.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk