Re: [LAU] linux-rt in Ubuntu Jaunty

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 03 2009 - 01:13:04 EEST

On 10/02/2009 08:06 PM, Emiliano Grilli wrote:
> becks<becks@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>

>> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Josh Lawrence<hardbop200@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> I remember some time back there were complaints on this list about the
>>> linux-rt kernel in Ubuntu Jaunty not being up-to-par for audio work.
>>> What were some of those complaints, and has the issue been resolved?
>>>
>> Hi,
>> In ubuntu jaunty, i use a plain vanilla kernel + rt patch, and it
>> works very fine (rare xrun)
>> here my .deb packages for ubuntu jaunty: http://msound.org/tmp/kernel/
>> hth
>>
> I second that. I'm using becks's kernel for a while now on three
> machines and it performs nicely.
>
> Another thing I add to a jaunty installation is recompiling the
> libasound2-plugins package to include the alsa jack plugin (can't
> understand why they leave that out)

Probably because they don't realise the usefulness and have been given
so much grief for stuffing up the pulse audio system in the past that
they have lost interest in the final step

i.e Jack + Pulse ootb.

JACK + Pulse ootb seems to be a pretty big issue at the moment for *all*
the distros except for CCRMA where Fernando has whipped up a short term
compromise until the dust settles with jack2 dbus support..

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd