[LAU] 0.12.0-pre1 report (Was: phasex-0.12.0-beta4)

From: Nedko Arnaudov <nedko@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 04 2009 - 00:05:56 EEST

William Weston <weston@email-addr-hidden> writes:

>>> Yup. I know the sound well, and hopefully now it's nothing more than
>>> a memory. The broken ringbuffer read has been fixed, and now uses two
>>> buffer periods instead of one. 0.12.0-pre1 should treat you right.
>>>

>> I fixed it by tweaking the thread priorities in phasex settings window.
>>
>> midi_thread_priority = 70;
>> engine_thread_priority = 75;
>>
>> Are you sure that it was caused by a ringbuffer problem?
>
> The ringbuffer problem was the sure culprit of the bad sound generated
> on my machine. The old code blindly assumed that JACK would want to
> read the entire buffer period at once. If nframes in the process
> callback changes between calls, it was possible to read off the end of
> the ringbuffer. Usually this would happen during a CPU crunch.

I ran 0.12-pre1 with default parameters (i removed the ~/.phsaex/
directory) and i still hear artifacts with default parameters. Adjusting
priorities still fixes the problem. However I made a patch with beta4
and it now sounds different with pre1. Also, selecting gtk system theme
has no effect (it worked with beta4).

I wonder why last commit in the git repo is from July, you obviously
have something newer :)

--
Nedko Arnaudov <GnuPG KeyID: DE1716B0>