Re: [LAU] So what's the deal with controlling the aeolus organ stops via midi

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <pedro.lopez.cabanillas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 05 2009 - 20:00:40 EEST

On Monday, October 5, 2009, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 03:33:46PM +0200, Dominic Sacré wrote:
> > Unfortunately it's not that simple. Most hardware MIDI controllers will
> > let you send continuous controller values or toggle between two values.
> > But to control the stops in Aeolus you basically need to be able to
> > manipulate individual bits of the controller values...
> >
> > Some time ago I wrote a small script that might be just what you need.
> > It uses mididings (http://das.nasophon.de/mididings/) to convert normal
> > MIDI controllers (one CC for each stop) to Aeolus' CC 98. You'd just
> > need to insert it between your MIDI controller and Aeolus.
>
> The basic problem here is that MIDI doesn't have anything
> close to what is required.

That is the main purpose of the MIDI System Exclusive messages, precisely.
Almost all manufacturers of hardware MIDI synthesizers provide sysex messages
in order to store and retrieve sound configurations (programs) or modify
single parameters of the programs. The format of the messages is free, and as
long as you need.

Here is a general description, if you need it:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/tech/midispec/sysex.htm

The MMA requires that you use a registered manufacturer ID, but only for
commercial products. There is a special ID = 0x7D that is intended for
educational or development use only, and should never appear in a commercial
design.

Regards,
Pedro