Re: [LAU] Live CDs

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 08 2009 - 23:15:44 EEST

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 12:26 PM, david <gnome@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
> Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
>>> I'm thinking of trying Gentoo on it, it's supposed to be very very
>>> configurable and optimizable. The synth/effects laptop doesn't have a
>>> lot of memory and only a 2.8GHz Celeron. (Of course, someone on the list
>>> is using an EEEPC 1000 for the same purposes, so maybe the hardware
>>> shouldn't matter!)
>>>
>> AVLinux is my current platform; Sabayon is also very good (very polished
>> and reliable), and it is Gentoo-based.  Haven't found a realtime kernel
>> for Sabayon or Gentoo yet.
>
> I thought that was one of the Gentoo configuration options? I know
> there's someone on the list using Gentoo, maybe they know?
>
> --
> David
> gnome@hawaii.rr.com
> authenticity, honesty, community

Gentoo real-time kernels are in the pro-audio overlay. Not sure how up
to date they are. I think I'm running something like
rt-sources-2.6.29-something as the vanilla 2.6.30 kernel.org kernel
didn't seem to like my chipset. Go figure....

Anyway, they are there, and...small rant... ;-) ;-)

Why in the heck does *anyone* complain about not finding rt-kernels?
The source is publicly available and it's very straight forward to
build kernel source once you get in the swing. There isn't any magic
to building the rt-kernel and truly it's no more difficult than
building the vanilla kernel if folks have done that.

end of small rant... ;-) ;-)

Cheers all,
Mark