Re: [LAU] M-Audio FastTrack Pro, all four outputs in jack

From: Dan S <danstowell+lxau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 09 2009 - 11:06:07 EEST

2009/10/7 Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Dan S <danstowell+lxau@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> This thread <http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@email-addr-hidden/msg23839.html>
>> suggests that using .asoundrc to aggregate the two devices into one
>> virtual device should work, but for me it simply doesn't, the virtual
>> device never shows up in qjackctl and even jackd from commandline
>> can't connect to it by name.
>
> can aplay? if not, start there.

Forgive the ignorance but what sort of string does aplay's "-d" option
need? I tried the device names that qjackctl shows me (namely default,
hw:0, hw:1,0, hw:1) and only "default" worked (I expected hw:0 also to
work since that's the same as default, i.e. the internal card). All
other options return immediately with error and don't play.

Here's what aplay -l gives:

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC861VD Analog [ALC861VD Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Pro [FastTrack Pro], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Pro [FastTrack Pro], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I tried various device names like "Intel", "HDA Intel", "Pro",
"FastTrack Pro", "USB Audio" and they all give the answer "unknown
PCM". Device names "hw" "hw:0" "hw:1" "hw:1,0" give this:

Playing WAVE 'a11wlk01.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
aplay: set_params:909: Channels count non available

If I use the device name "multi" (the name I specified for the virtual
device) I get

ALSA lib pcm_multi.c:1169:(_snd_pcm_multi_open) Invalid or missing
schannel for channel 3
aplay: main:550: audio open error: Invalid argument

Grateful for any suggestions -

Thanks
Dan