Re: [LAU] Live CDs

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 09 2009 - 18:59:46 EEST

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Yeah I don't see a problem either..I would rather look for a binary first
> before building an app as the last resort.

Somewhat different POV here. I run Gentoo and therefore everything is
built from source. Clearly to each his or her own.

But with respect to the kernel it's my experience that 98% of the
stuff any of us doing low-latency audio stuff is identical and then
the only differences would be chipset specific things. These days with
only 4-5 chipset manufacturers (Intel, Nvidia, ATI, AMD and then maybe
Via and a couple of others) it seems to me that we should have a
non-distro specific web page somewhere that goes through this for
audio kernels. I suspect that Fernando already has this somewhere for
CCRMA. Possibly leverage from that?

Personally I don't like distro kernels because distro packagers are
forever adding things to the kernel that aren't tested by the
rt-kernel team and I don't want to deal with those problems.

Just my 2 cents,
Mark