[LAU] lmms, qsynth, linuxsampler, others

From: Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 10 2009 - 20:04:47 EEST
I remember that article.  I read it after I tried lmms on multiple platforms over eighteen months, and was beginning to wonder in general.  I'm glad you wrote it, because if you hadn't, I might not have thought that there were usable components on Linux.  Certainly my hardware (quad AMD 2.6 GHz, 4G RAM, running lean & tweaked AVLinux) is not insufficient.

I was hoping lmms would be usable as a single-MIDI-channel SF2 host.  Sadly, the audio quality is just too poor for anything live.  I have managed to find a free-of-charge Yamaha piano .gig for linuxsampler, which will do until I can find a good Steinway or Bosendorfer .gig, or an .sf2 host practical for dynamic live work (sorry, people, but MIDI routers do not make for on-the-fly changes in live work).

I took a look at fluidsynth's non-gui command line -- arcane is a word that comes to mind :-)

I wonder if Ardour does SF2?  Anything else?

J.E.B.

Hi Patrick,

I reviewed it not too long ago:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/introducing-lmms-linux-multimedia-studio

I gave a fairly positive review *except* wrt its performance. Frankly,
it was pretty poor regardless of the driver (and I tested it with its
ALSA, OSS, and SDL drivers). I like its concept and design, but until it
has seamless JACK support it remains a toy.

Can't say I blame the devs for switching it over to Windows, especially
if they're not going to bring its JACK support up to speed.

There's a thread on LMMS over at KVRaudio. It's mostly concerned with
the eye candy, they're not responding to any queries re: JACK, so I'm
not hopeful about its development for Linux. And yes, they do refer to a
name change in the near future.

Best,

dp