Re: [LAU] lmms static through jackd

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 11 2009 - 14:22:55 EEST

Peter Nelson wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 08:02 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
>

>> Can't say I blame the devs for switching it over to Windows, especially
>> if they're not going to bring its JACK support up to speed.
>>
>> There's a thread on LMMS over at KVRaudio. It's mostly concerned with
>> the eye candy, they're not responding to any queries re: JACK, so I'm
>> not hopeful about its development for Linux. And yes, they do refer to a
>> name change in the near future.
>>

> I've spoken to the developers via IRC and they are actually interested
> in improving JACK support, however they do not know how to do this. They
> are open to any improvements, indeed they added the patch I supplied to
> fix the misuse of JACK transport. Unfortunately it is quite a complex
> program to get involved in.
>
> On the audio side, plugins are run in separate threads and mixed
> together. This is then put through a locking fifo buffer which the jack
> process handler reads from.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the clarification. I felt I was a little too critical
about their relationship to JACK, so I'm glad to hear it matters to
them. Alas, I'm no coder, so I can't help directly. OTOH I would like to
see the Linux version of LMMS get it together. It's a very promising
application, but IMO it should address its audio problems before all
else. Prettifying its UI ought to be a secondary consideration until
reliable audio stability is achieved.

Best,

dp