[LAU] Better SF2 player wanted

From: Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 15 2009 - 01:55:23 EEST
fluidsynth (with or without qsynth) will obviously play SF2 files very well -- but it eats up the entire MIDI bank, it refuses to operate on less than 16 MIDI channels.  My keyboard controller will transmit on only 16 channels.  I am not going to give up my entire keyboard controller range to fluidsynth.

Any better SF2 players which will do Jack?  Anyone have a Timidity++ command line to try?  Options ???

J.E.B.
I took a look at fluidsynth's non-gui command line -- arcane is a word that
comes to mind :-)

I wonder if Ardour does SF2?  Anything else?

To play sf2 soundfonts, try fluidsynth.
example usage (uses jack audio server):

fluidsynth -a jack -j -g 2 -m alsa_seq -r 48000 "FluidR3-GM.sf2"

for -r use the sample-rate jackd runs with
-g is the gain (0..5)
the last parameter is the soundfont to use

optional options:  -c 2 -z 512
-c buffer-count
-z buffer-size