[LAU] Test if Linux is ready for audio

From: Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 20 2009 - 03:41:52 EEST

The best way to test if your Linux setup is ready for audio, I think, is
here:

http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=system_configuration

Download the .pl file, make it executable, and run it in a terminal. In
other words, in a terminal:

wget
http://realtimeconfigquickscan.googlecode.com/hg/realTimeConfigQuickScan.pl
chmod +x realTimeConfigQuickScan.pl
./realTimeConfigQuickScan.pl | less

and study the results. My hardware is such that realtime kernel is not
necessary, and I'm not sure about 'noatime' on the filesystems, but
everything else it reports has been extremely valuable. AVLinux ran
well before I did all the things it requested; after I did them, it
began to run screamingly.

There is a list of multimedia-oriented distros on that page, but some of
the listings are alpha quality, no longer in existence, et cetera.

J.E.B.