Re: [LAU] Jack frequently crashes when running LinuxSampler + Qsynth

From: Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 20 2009 - 22:42:31 EEST

>> I hear you, and you're right, I use Linux live and have had exactly the

>> same thought. Behavior such as you're reporting, is why I won't use
>> Ubuntu and several other distros, including updated 64 Studio; I have
>> been where you are and won't go back :-).

> J.E.B, it's rather reassuring that I'm not the only guy on the planet
> using linux live. I was beginning to question my sanity lately....

 I questioned mine for quite a while :-)  I am going to also suggest that
we both try posting at the LinuxSampler forums.  Many LS folks seem to be
very results-oriented.

>> If I were you, I would try
>> AVLinux, use its highly tweaked default kernel, and see how it works
for
>> you.

> Thanks! I'm now quite excited about AVlinux, downloading right away...

 I will be eager to hear results.  I also encourage you to set ALSA up
according to two patterns I recently learned right here; I have summarized
them here:

 http://linuxaudio.joshuacorps.org/index.php?entry=entry091019-191706 [1]

 I have found that better general stability is a result.  I am beginning
to be convinced, that relying on ALSA device numbers, is a very bad idea on
many levels.  And yet this is what every distro does right now.
Hopefully a change can be motivated.

> :)
> The sample IS a Bosendorfer sample. I also have a Steinway SF2 (the
same
> sample, perhaps?), which used to sound good to my ears.... UNTIL I
> discovered the sound of the Bosendorfer. Compromising on the sound is
> something I am NOT willing to do. I'm a pro musician first, linux
> afficianado next.

 Well said, Guru.  Given your words, I will probably just have to blow
the $ on the Bosendorfer (unless you found a free one?), because my
priorities are identical.

> So if I can't get linuxsampler to be stable, then I'm
> switching to OSX and Logic Pro.
> I'm looking forward to further suggestions on making jack (relatively)
> crash-proof. Meanwhile, I'm pinning my hopes on AVLinux... (and then
> Sabayon/UbuntuStudio-RT kernel... but I pray I never have to).
> Cheers,
> Guru

 We will see.  I will hopefully find myself motivated enough to go to the
LS forums in the next day or two :-)

 J.E.B.

Links:
------