Re: [LAU] Test if Linux is ready for audio

From: Scott Ecker <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 22 2009 - 19:19:00 EEST

hollunder@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 23:25:36 -0700
> Scott <lau@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> Ken Restivo wrote:
>>
>>> But it also caught this other weird thing I'd never heard of:
>>> fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 524288
>>>
>>> Which was easy enough to fix.
>>>

>> What sort of problem were you having that changing that setting fixed?
>>
>> -Scott
>>

> I'm also very curious about this one as I've never heard of it before
> and haven't seen any help that explains what it does.
>
> It wrongly assumes a tmpfs has to be on /tmp and nice doesn't help with
> rt stuff afaik.
> I'm also not quite sure about the filesystem related stuff it checks
> for, like the use of atime or whatever.
>
> I'd say the script is a nice start but nothing to rely on or use as
> definitiv guideline.

Since we're on the subject of improving performance I should share one
little thing I learned recently. I use Fedora+CCRMA. The Fedora update
manager is python based. After disabling the automatic update service I
eradicated virtually all xruns. I asked a more knowledgeable friend why
this may be and he told me that Python is/can be greedy with resources.
YMMV.

-Scott