Re: [LAU] [Zynaddsubfx-user] yoshimi bug fixes

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 22 2009 - 23:42:53 EEST

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 10:21:50AM +1100, cal wrote:

> On the subject of the metering display behaving erratically (as distinct
> from displaying incorrect values) ... standard zyn refreshes the gui at
> 25 fps, and to my mind that leaves the metering looking unduly sluggish.

That just depends on the algorithm driving the meter.
Jkmeter refreshes at 25 Hz by default, and the peak
indication doesn't look sluggish at all (the RMS one
does, but that is by design). If your meter is supposed
to display peak values then the algorithm than computes
them should hold the max value for some time before
letting it fall back, in jkmeters this is half a second.
If you do that the refresh rate just determines how
smooth the fallback is, and nothing else.

> I've noticed consistent comment along the way (LAU/LAD?) that there's no
> point refreshing such display elements faster than 60 or so times per
> second. Yoshi currently uses 50, which I quite like, but if others hate it
> I'm interested to hear.

There's probably no point in doing that. And if a GUI
needs a lock shared with the realtime code that means
there's a big overall design related problem, and that
should be the first to get solved.

Ciao,

--
FA