Re: [LAU] Syncing USB-audio devices?

From: Geoff King <gsking1@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 23 2009 - 15:33:40 EEST

> mixers, etc.  This is good, but I can't for the life of me think of a
> practical use for a single-channel USB device like this guitar processor, or
> a USB microphone.

Here's a couple uses I think some guitarist might find handy.
-Simply plug-in in the USB and record/playback a guitar track. no
mixers, other audio cards or anything else needed. Record your ideas
and practice.
-Play or record other audio/keyboard tracks with the existing audio
card (in my case a Maudio 2496 PCI card), and record the guitar stuff
into the USB without messing with a mixer or multi-channel card.

Also, to be clear the aim of this device is to be a guitar effects and
amp modeller, not simply a USB audio device, although I believe it
could be a useful feature.

>  Each USB device would have its own A/D converter, running on its own clock,
> right?  So it would be an exercise in frustration if you were to try to
> record a simple guitar and vocal using a USB guitar processor/DI, and a USB
> microphone, right?  How would you deal with the inevitable clicks and pops?

I have never tried running more than 1 USB audio device at a time so I
can't comment on the clicks and pops. It worked fine in conjunction
with the Maudio M2496 PCI card in my computer though.

Geoff