Re: [LAU] HDSP 9632 - Just pcm0p !?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 26 2009 - 18:32:29 EET

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Klaus Schulz <kls.schlz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> THX Giso.
>
> I already looked into the .asoundrc Wiki.  I couldn't really make sense of
> it.
>
> I 'll checkout Jack. I just wanted to avoid another layer in the chain. I
> also didn't want to mix things
> on the PC side. I didn't expect difficulties to send three stereo streams
> straight to the device mixer.

then you haven't understood ALSA at all.

if you want multiple apps to send independent streams to a device, you
have 3 choices:

  1) use dmix
  2) use asoundrc to set up pseudo-devices mapped to distinct
channels, and have each app use a different pseudo-device
  3) use a sound server that knows what its doing (JACK being one example)

if you want a single app to send independent streams to a device, then
the app has to know what its doing.

its not any simpler, or more complex, than that.