Re: [LAU] All audio through Jack, cont'd

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 26 2009 - 20:25:29 EET

2009/10/27 Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>

> OK. I have two theories. The first is a question:
>
> 1. I know what libasound_module_pcm_jack.so does -- but what does
> libasound_module_pcm_jack.la do? It has been said that the ALSA2Jack
> plugin won't work at all without the .la file, but it was working perfectly
> over here without it. Is the .la something Ubuntu-specific? Or...?
>
> 2. Theory #2 is the better because it accounts for the fact that it was
> working pretty well: might the ALSA2Jack plugin have trouble handling
> multiple streams at once? If so, is there a streams-mixing plugin I can use
> before ALSA2Jack, to make this work better?
>
> J.E.B.

1) It has been said wrong. It's not that it doesn't work without the libtool
file, but it's because what's being done is using the library (*.so) off of
somewhere and not one which was meant and built for your system (differing
versions). Libtool helped here by making sure libraries are properly linked.

Open up a *.la and you'll see what I mean.

2) No. Every alsa app registers a port with JACK when the plug-in is active.
Those that don't are defective.