Re: [LAU] A new orchestral pop-song from me

From: Viktor Mastoridis <viktor@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 27 2009 - 20:59:27 EET

I let myself listening to this track for a few days before I comment, as it
took you a long time to put all these things together (componere= to put
things together).

First of all, I think that it's good that you kept the piano for the whole
composition. This is a serious work for Piano and (contemporary) Orchestra,
and other soloing instruments would probably have watered down the whole
tune. There are small sections without the piano and this is well enough for
the ear to rest and want more of it.

The whole musical story is masterfully told, with rests, raising or lowering
the tone (volume), so the listener is engaged all the time. To further keep
the tension, there is the dramatical element, and you have not overdone it,
which is the beginning of a mastership.

The drumming is wow! I admire you for as anyone else on this list. It's not
only the attention to detail, which we all have for listening, but the
attention and insisting of DOING the detail. Many hours spent there, but
worth every second of it.

There's only one objection, but for that I need to tell a little story. My
best friend is John Hudson, piano player and jazzmen with all his heart. My
neighbor as well. We create and share our musical creations for 10 years
now. And with him I understand that I am an Eastener deep down. For me,
melody is first, harmony is second. With him is the other way round. He
always critises my lack of more interesting harmony, I do the same for his
understated melodies.

In this light I would like you to understand that personally, as someone
from Eastern Europe, I feel that the melody should be stronger where the
orchestra comes in. Till then, the piano plays the melody and it's a nice
one, has it's presence. When the orchestra comes in, the melody is not so
strong any more. Emphasis is on the chords and all these beautiful changes
of tempo and dynamics, but I believe they should be there to hold the
melody. Yes, there is a basic melody going on top of it, but I think that it
should be a stronger, more developed and thought off.

At this stage, it's an ideal piece for a soundtrack. If you work on the
melody in the second part, you can then write the score and publish it as a
self-contained Contemporary Classical Composition. With a bit of effort to
find the right publishers, I am sure that many modern classical orchestras
would love to perform it.

--
Viktor Mastoridis
Music-o-Graph