Re: [LAU] qjackctl gets confused when used through ssh -X

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 29 2009 - 16:42:15 EET

Hi,

On Thursday 29 October 2009 15:18:09 Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> two hosts connected via netjack. local host uses qjackctl.
> now ssh -X into remote host, start qjackctl and hope for a forwarded
> window. no luck. all that happens is that the *local* qjackctl window
> pops up.
> this doesn't happen with other gui apps. i use several xosviews on
> several hosts frequently without problems.
> any guesses as to what might be going on?

Just a guess, I haven't looked at the source:

Probably all those "use one app only per X-session" check with the X-session
whether an instance by that name is already running. If yes, they just make it
focus, otherwise the app is started.

As with "ssh -X" or "ssh -Y" (later is more secure) the X-session of your
local machine is accessible from the remote machine, the remote qjackctl
checks whether an app named qjackctl is running and quits itself again...

Running multiple qjackctl instances is probably difficult at least when using
the systray icon.

Have fun,

Arnold