Re: [LAU] qjackctl gets confused when used through ssh -X

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 29 2009 - 17:52:16 EET

Hi,

On Thursday 29 October 2009 16:37:31 Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
> <flame>
> if qjackctl is not requriement, one can do it by accessing session buses
> (D-Bus) of multiple machines through network.
> /me runs back to the rebel camp :D
> </flame>

Ever tried that??? I did. And as I didn't want a solution involving copying
changing(!) security secrets across machines, I wanted anonymous access to
dedicated dbus sessions.

Turns out that despite all config-file hackery this needs a custom patched dbus
server to work. The patch is less then 10 lines but the mainline refuses to
include it afaik. Which makes the whole anonymous authorization in dbus
useless.

I decided to invent my own text-based network protocol. Is easier to forward
to the next phd-student then teaching him how to handle custom patched
versions...

Arnold