Re: [LAU] qjackctl gets confused when used through ssh -X

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 29 2009 - 22:51:28 EET

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 03:01:33PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:43 PM, <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 03:31:24PM +0000, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> >
> >> first ask why you want more than one qjackctl instance running?
> >
> > I'm routinely running audio systems consisting of more than
> > one machine, with usually all but one headless. And occasionally
> > I want to manually verify/modify jack connections on the remote
> > machines. So running 'ssh -X somehost qjacktl' is expected to
> > work, as it should for any X11 app, and must not depend on
> > conditions that don't matter.
>
> although in theory i agree with you fons, i note that firefox and a
> few others from the mozilla stable have realized that with
> "heavyweight" X apps, this is not *always* true.

I'd agree that expecting to see a YouTube video over a
remote X connection is asking for trouble. But apart
from that, what could be the problem (assuming the app
is not written in some braindead way) ?

Anyway this is not the same criterion. Qjackctl *does* work
perfectly with a remote X server, and its performance in such
conditions is not the reason why only a single instance is
allowed on any X server. The point I object to is that the
reason that is put forward for doing so doesn't make sense.

Ciao,

--
FA