Re: [LAU] What kind of sample(er)s etc for classical music

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 04 2009 - 18:49:47 EET

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein@vait.se> wrote:
> söndag november 1 2009 21.37.15 skrev  Lorenzo:
>> I'de like to have some info/pointers on samples for classical music
>> (especially orchestra) in the situations when one has to provide a
>> 'virtual' performance.
>
> I have bought Giga samples from Dan Dean and Big Fish Audio and are very happy
> with them, but have not tried the strings (are planning to buy London Solo
> Strings in Gig-format). Here are the links (and listen to the samples, sounds
> really good!):
>
>  Big Fish Audio, London Solo Strings:
>    http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/detail.html?845
>
>  Dan Dean, Solo Strings:
>    http://www.dandeanpro.com/sample_lib/product_detail.php?pid=12
>
> Jostein

I've got a copy of the same Dan Dean and find them pretty reasonable.

It's disappointing that Worra's Place is now completely gone, or I
can't find it. It was a good resource for small, free Lo-fi type gigs.
Also GlassTrax used to sell Bigga Gigga of which I bought maybe 10 of
the libraries - mostly synths like Mellotron, Arp, String Boxes, etc.
they were fun but don't seem available anymore. I'm not even sure if
Garritan actually sells the GOS/GOS Lite products anymore or whether
it's just the GPO product now. I have a copy of GOS Lite but found it
difficult to use well. Nice sounds though.

I've been so focused on using what I own that I hadn't noticed what a
mess is for the new sampler user. Seems to me the Linux community
might do well to focus on one or two players - GPO and maybe the
Kontakt player - and then make sure they work well on Linux using wine
or whatever. Even non-GPL LinuxSampler won't help you if you can't buy
samples anymore...

- Mark