Re: [LAU] status usb2 for sound

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Fri Nov 06 2009 - 11:19:36 EET

Hartmut Noack wrote:

> Firewire is OK but lets face it: interfaces working with alsa are more
> fun. A USB1-interface that is properly supported by alsa is plug and
> play without any hassle. Even supported FW-devices can fail severely if
> you happen to have the wrong controller-chipset. Many older/cheaper
> computers especially laptops do not have a FW-port in the first place.
> And FW-interfaces are excluselively available via jack - so VLC and/or
> xine *must* support jack to have fun with videos et al...

all very valid points. although i find i'm piping even my recreational
stuff through jack these days, simply because i couldn't be bothered to
wire my second and third consumer soundcards any more...

the great advantage of firewire devices from my POV is that you can
easily share your device between your studio PC and your mobile kit for
on-location recording. the only alternative to that kind of flexibility
is an RME [multi|digi]face with both a hdsp expresscard and a pcie card.
which is in an entirely different price bracket.

best,

jörn