Re: [LAU] status usb2 for sound

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 07 2009 - 20:47:47 EET

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 6:06 AM, Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> But they seem to be totally unaware of something like a need for
> pro-audio-support for Linux. - What a misconception! Every OS out there
> that qualifies as "full grown" offers support for everything any user
> today does on a PC. MS and Apple do not ignore audio-needs just because
> audio-producers are only a small percentage of the userbase.

No, Apple (which is the only one of the two) just decides to drop
firewire on its not-top-of-the-line machines, thus rendering the audio
interface hardware already owned by thousands of people unusable on a
new machine. Because "it doesn't matter" ....

> The SuseAG showed some insight on this as they put the alsa-people on
> their payroll and set up a certified-for-linux programme for
> multimedia-devices that made Linux visible to companies like Terratec.
> As a result we now have perfect support for envy24-cards.

AFAIK, we had perfect support for envy24 cards before "certified for
linux" ever existed. Are there specific things that you know which
were added/improved/fixed because of the input of h/w vendors and/or
the CFL program?