Re: [LAU] Re : zyn/yoshimi on EEE netbook

From: cal <cal@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 10 2009 - 04:41:54 EET

Josh Lawrence wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> zombies at every patch switch. adjusted the OscilSize just for
>> giggles, but it didn't do any good. my only thoughts at this point is
>> that this netbook just might be too little power for this application.
>
> cal - here's some information that might be helpful?
>
> from jack (even started jack with the -Z option, still no luck):
>
> subgraph starting at yoshimi timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=9, status =
> 0, state = Running, pollret = 0 revents = 0x0)
> bad status (1) for client yoshimi handling event (type = 5)
>
> from yoshim (hyperthreading is turned on, there aren't really two
> processors here)i:
I'd be inclined to try turning hyperthreading off. It isn't going to help, and
can certainly make things worse.

> josh@email-addr-hidden-laptop:~$ yoshimi
> 2 processors online, fftw3 to use 2 threads
again, turn off hyperthreading. If only I could figure out how to
programmatically tell the difference between real and pretend processor
counts ...
> [ ... ]

Plus a couple of points from your previous post ...

> 2. hook up my edirol ua-25ex, just to eliminate hardware issues (I
> heard Intel HDA sucks)

I'm not so sure that's still true, though it definitely was the case quite a
while back. Quite a lot of patient, persistent effort has gone into sorting
out the hda drivers, and these days the horrible little thing can perform
ridiculously well for what it is.

[ ... ]

> zombies at every patch switch. adjusted the OscilSize just for
> giggles, but it didn't do any good. my only thoughts at this point is
> that this netbook just might be too little power for this application.

Quite possibly true. If the cpu simply can't keep up the pace required, it
simply ain't gonna work. However, silent, catastrophic failure isn't a polite
way for the app to handle the situation. I'm interested in improving that,
especially with regard to "zombies at every patch switch".

cheers, Cal