Re: [LAU] open hw soundcard (was Re: status usb2 for sound)

From: Karl Hammar <karl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 11 2009 - 18:48:30 EET

Hans Wilmsers:
> I am using embedded linux on ARM processors in another project, and have
> been looking for a simple solution for multichannel outputs for a while
> (8 or more), although inputs also are interesting.

Good. What requirements do have on the outputs, inputs ?

> I have implemented a
> noisy soundcard based on UCB1400 for my hardware a while ago, and could
> do some tests with that.
>
> I could do parts of:
>
> 1) testing OSC on ARM/embedded Linux
> (Don't know whether I could test netjack - I have no experience with
> that)

Great! OSC [1] looks interesting, please report back.
I think I will play a little with it also, but for a control
application.

Anyone fluent in NetJACK ?

> 2) test sending sound to/from the board
> (but restricted to 10mbit/s, at the moment)
>
> 5) add the preamp part - there are good examples for that in the
> datasheets for some differential amplifiers

Please go ahead.

I can contribute by documenting, I'll put it in "soundcard" in [2].
Which amplifiers would you recommend to choose from ?

> Actually, if we go for this together, I'd suggest using a gumstix board
> for the tests, or something similar that is completely ready. This would
> make it easier to split the project into hardware and software, and it
> would enable others to buy off-the-shelf material, or run a
> software-only solution.

Gumstix [3] seems to be a little expensive. If you want a cheep
readymade part to start hacking with, you can use AT32NGW100 [4].
It is delivered with linux installed.

Regards,
/Karl

[1] http://opensoundcontrol.org/