Re: [LAU] Posting style (was: Re: Autotuner for Linux?)

From: Leo <leoave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 12 2009 - 19:11:11 EET

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Rick Green <rtg@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> publishers of such software is not fit for a polite forum such as this.

Main problem is this:
We are not posting to a forum, as we understand what is a forum (web forum)
This is a mailing list, and that way must be treated.

Quote from the site Thorsten give us (http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html)

"Some argue that you should already know the context for a top-posted
reply; so, scrolling down to read the quoted context should be
unnecessary. If you expect your reader to remember the context, you
don't need to quote the original message. If you think the quoted
reply is necessary, edit it down and bottom-post under it to make it
read in a logical order. "

    and also:

"Knowing the context is also not true for people reading archived
discussions, where the people reading the messages are either away
from the discussion for a long time or are not the ones who originated
the messages. A top-posted message thread forwarded to a third party
also subjects the third party to a lot of unnecessary work reading
bottom-to-top."

Leo