Re: [LAU] open hw soundcard

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 15 2009 - 00:50:39 EET

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 10:31:00PM +0000, Folderol wrote:

> > And where do you get the 'quite significant overhead' ?
> > It just depends on how you use it.
>
> Well, maybe I'm wrong, but looking through the info I could find I got
> the impression there was a lot of identification stuff going on before
> you got anywhere near actual data.

Anywhere where packets of different types have to be transmitted
over the same channel you need to add some data to identify the
packet type. It can be a simple as a single byte or int.

OSC does two things:

1. It encodes packet type in textual strings, which
   can be structured in the same way as pathnames in
   file system are.

2. It defines a way to describe and encode the data that
   follows, so you are not limited to a set of predefined
   formats.

Both are done in a way that make the conversion from/to
a textual representation very simple, which is some
cases is a desirable feature.

Neither of these is essential in the application we are
discussing, it could as well use a fixed set of binary
formats. If the limits of doing that are acceptable then
you don't need OSC or anything similar. If you don't want
such limitations then OSC is a good choice. That's all.

And anyway, until the fundamental hardware design issues
are solved, all this is in fact quite irrelevant.

Ciao,

--
FA
Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.