Re: [LAU] open hw soundcard

From: Martin Peach <martin.peach@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 16 2009 - 00:52:42 EET

Karl Hammar wrote:
> Folderol:
>> karl@email-addr-hidden (Karl Hammar) wrote:
>>> Folderol:
>>> Found it, datasheet at [1], it seems to cost ~12USD. There is no
>>> "start" pin to be able to simultaneously start multiple converters.
>>> And you cannot daisychain this chip. [2] can be daisy-chained, but
>>> with a maximum of eigth channels, but it can be synced.
>> There is a chip select feature,
>
> The chip select comes with the spi bus interface, which(s) chip shall
> respond to the clock.
>
>> and also a count overrun, both of which
>> put the output into high Z state. Therefore the outputs can be
>> paralleled, and count pulses sent to the appropriate chips by the
>> processor.
>
> That is normal for chips with spi bus.
>
>> It also has an interesting feature of having it's own high
>> speed conversion clock,
>
> Some has an internal clock and some need an external. At most this will
> affect component count.
>
>> so presumably, once a conversion has been
>> done you can read the result at your leisure - not sure how this would
>> actually work. I hadn't read far enough to find out if/how this could
>> be synced.
>
> It doesn't seem to be an easy way to sync TLC4545ID's. The sampling
> start after 5 clcks after chip_select, it need another 20 clcks for the
> sampling. Then you release the chip and it will convert the analog value
> to digital and it takes < 2.94us. During the sampling time the previous
> is clocked out.
>
> That is why I'm looking for a "start" pin on the chip, to be able to
> say to all ADCs to start simultaneously.
>
>>> If we are going to have multiple analog inputs at higt sample rate,
>>> isn't it better to have a parallell interface. With spi the number of
>>> channels will be limited to something like 8 for a 24bit converter.
>>> Plus that the AT32AP7000/AT91SAM9260 only has two spi-busses.
>>>
>>> Maybe ad7762 [2] could be useful (28 USD),
>> Not sure how you'd effectively squeeze in multiple channels of 24 bits
>> parallel without quite a lot of juggling.
>
> Do we understand each other correctly?
>
> With a parallell bus I mean a bus with multiple data lines and multiple
> address lines. Examples of parallell buses are ISA and PCI.

Another way to do that would be to bit-bang 8 SPI devices sharing one
clock line (and /CS/FS) onto a byte-wide port, read all 8 in parallel
one bit at a time in perfect sync.

It actually should be possible to use a /RD line for an SPI clock, so 24
successive reads of a single address would clock in 8 24-bit samples.

Martin