Re: [LAU] FOSS Ethernet Soundcard

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 23 2009 - 23:24:55 EET

On 23 November 2009 at 20:28, Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Recent discussion on LAU morphed into an idea for an Ethernet
> driven sound card, and as this is now becoming a real
> development the suggestion was made that it would be better to
> transfer the discussion here.
>
> The rationale in brief:
>
> No proprietry hardware soundcard needed.
>
> Almost all modern computers have reasonably fast Ethernet connections.
>
> Potentially up to 20 channels per card - reality will probably be a lot
> different!
>
> FOSS drivers to connect Ethernet to whatever audio server is on the
> computer - looking at jack right now.
>
> FOSS within the soundcard module so that protocols/algorythings can be
> tuned for best results.
>
> FOSH design enabling hardware to be developed and inproved by anyone.
>
> A number of people have shown interest in this, and we are at the stage
> of starting to knock together some basic hardware for a feasibility
> study.
>
> State of play:
>
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 14:39:48 +0100 (CET)
> karl@email-addr-hidden (Karl Hammar) wrote:
>
> > Folderol:
> > > On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:25:36 +0100 (CET)
> > > karl@email-addr-hidden (Karl Hammar) wrote:
> > >
> > > <snip>

> > > This is all fine by me, but I would make quite clear that if someone
> > > comes along with access to a {loadsamoney} spectrum analyser I'd be
> > > perfectly happy to step back and take a more supporting role.
>
> Others would be welcome to come on board - pardon the pun!

It would seem that the discussion of this development, if it gets to
be pretty active, might swamp LAU. Maybe we should wait & see. But,
another mailing list, wiki or something might be in order.

I'm interested to see how far people have got with setting up the
collaboration environment, requirements, spec's, etc. I'm an analog
electrical engineer, and might be able to lend some help, advice,
whatever.

Where was this initial discussion, that subsequently moved here?
Would it be useful for interested parties to review what was written
there? If so, could you please publish a link?

Thanks....

--
Kevin