Re: [LAU] FOSS Ethernet Soundcard

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 24 2009 - 13:07:09 EET

Atte Andre' Jensen wrote:
> Folderol wrote:
>
>> Recent discussion on LAU morphed into an idea for an Ethernet driven
>> sound card, and as this is now becoming a real development the
>> suggestion was made that it would be better to transfer the discussion
>> here.
>
> This sounds very promissing (I know it's only "in our minds" ATM).
>
> I wonder why no company took up this idea already, it seems so sleek and
> logical. (Almost) every computer has ethernet and the ethernet standard
> is (in my experience) problem free...

I believe there are already musical instruments with Ethernet
connectivity ... ah, sounds much like what Gibson was doing back in 2004:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.01/guitar.html

Their technology is proprietary (probably patented), and a previous
Google search found a number of patents, just to add to the minefield.

And here's an entry from Fender in 2005:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/11/21/wed.enabled.guitar/index.html

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden