[LAU] USB audio interface support?

From: Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 26 2009 - 01:35:43 EET

Hi all, two quick questions (new to this list, let me know if I'm doing
this wrong),

1) What's support like on Linux on the USB Audio Interfaces? Specific
list below. I guess this is pretty much a 'does alsa support these
devices', at the current moment? Obviously this is the primary
requirement compared to 2).

2) I've got a Shure SM57 dynamic mic which needs amp-ing to get a
useable signal for my laptop. Instead of just getting a pre-amp I was
figuring I may as well get a USB audio interface, enabling me to finally
use the MIDI output of my Korg as well as record a presumably good
signal direct from my SM57. I've seen various complaints on the Fast
Track Pro, for example, that the SM57 volume is just too low for quiet
recording (ex. recording accoustic guitar), and its been confirmed as an
issue by one of their engineers
(http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?t=14610). So the second
question is, is this a general issue with the SM57 and budget USB audio
interfaces, or would one of the list below be better?

I'm looking at the following interfaces:-
a) M-Audio Fast Track Pro
b) Alesis IO|2 Audio/Midi Interface
c) Tascam US-144 USB 2.0 Audio and Midi Interface
d) Edirol UA-4FX USB Audio/MIDI Interface
Please feel free to recommend alternatives with similar feature set (XLR
input, 1/4" input, some sort of MIDI is a preferred bonus).

Thank you all.