Re: [LAU] USB audio interface support?

From: Lorenzo <lsutton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 26 2009 - 11:46:34 EET

Hi,

> 1) How much gain is needed by the Shure SM57 for comfortable recording
> with a low noise floor?
> 2) Whether the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Tascam US-144, Alesis IO|2 or
> Edirol UA-4FX are able to provide pre-amping with that much gain?

I'm not sure I understand correctly the question...
As for 'noise floor' much for example depends on the input signal,
environment etc. or are you talking about the intrinsic 'noisiness' of
pre-amps on the cited devices?. Maybe if you explain the situation/setup
one could have a clearer picture.
Anyway, because the SM57 is a dynamic microphone you should be ok with
virtually any decent mic preamp: at an extreme limit you could probably
even plug it into your computer's "mic in" (but then of course might as
well use a 10$ skype microphone or something :) ).

Lorenzo.