Re: [LAU] Midi controller software ?

From: Svend-Erik Kjær Madsen <sv-e@email-addr-hidden-e.dk>
Date: Sun Nov 29 2009 - 23:22:16 EET

Peter Geirnaert skrev:

> Svend-Erik Kjær Madsen wrote:
>
> >[...]
> >What I'm looking for is something where I for a start could make
> let's
> >say three knobs, assign two to select up and down, and the third
> to be
> >select of the actually number, and send it out to my external
> device in
> >realtime.
> >
> >I have Pure Data installed but I can't figure howt to do exactly
> that,
> >maybe I'm not thinking right ?
> >
> >Can you give me a hint to get me started ?
> >
> >/Sv-e
>

> Hi
>
> If you want to control every parameter in your NovaSystem, you'll have to
> read the System Exclusive specs and make a PureData patch to handle
> working
> with these bytes. I've only experimented a bit with PureData and to me
> it looked hard
> to use it for such a task.
>
> To control my MIDI hardware, I've written drivers in Java for
> JSynthLib. (I guess that's your best bet too.)
>
> First I had to write drivers to support getting and sending patches
> from and to the MIDI device (library support),
> then for each type of patch, I've written an editor using the by
> JSynthLib provided sliders, combobox, knob, etc .
>
> Now certain parameters, that could only be set from the front panel or
> via System Exclusive messages, can be controlled using normal MIDI CC#
> : my sequencer (or hardware midi controller) sends MIDI CC to
> JSynthLib, JSynthLib translates it to sysex and sends it to VirMidi
> (virtual midi port), VirMidi is connected to the hardware synth's MIDI
> port in QJackCtl.
>
> I'm still looking for feedback on the jsynthlib wiki
> (http://jsynthlib.wikispaces.com) so if you want to try writing
> NovaSystem support for JSynthLib, be welcome with questions or remarks
> about the guide there.
>
> PS: I had a brief look at the NovaSystem's manual
> (http://www.tcelectronic.com/novasystemmanuals.asp), and didn't find
> much info about the System Exclusive specifications. You do need it if
> you need more than just program change messages.
>
> Cheers
> Peter
Hi Peter

Thanks for your comment on this. I've looked around too, thinking I
could implement such things in a program language. Actually I thought of
testing a little in Python without knowing much of the language. Earlier
I have made small apps in Shell C and Ruby, so maybe the jump to Java
isn't too hard at all. I'm aware that I have to contact TC to get some
information regarding the midi signals used in the pedal. I'll give it a
try to see if I'm up to the task getting the basics right, thanks.

/Sv-e