Re: [LAU] composing for video

From: Esben Stien <b0ef@email-addr-hidden-stien.name>
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 02:54:53 EET

Florian Faber <faber@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> Well, and for the same reason jack doesn't use 24bit PCM as native
> format, this is a not a good idea for video data.

I'm sorry. I do not understand what you mean. You don't want to transfer
RGB with JACK-VIDEO. I find that that's the beauty and simplicity of it
all.

> Something that wouldn't cripple my data, if my input data has 12bpp.

Alright, so you mean here that you want to transfer 12bpp. Well, of
course, that's doable. The point being that we transfer RGB data, not
something else.

> I don't think you can solve this problem by just using one pixel
> format.

If we don't, we start to complicate things. The point of simplicity I
was thinking of was just starting JACK-VIDEO with a single RGB pixel
format (12bpp doable).

> RGB with floats could be one possible solution, but one 4K frame would
> be 99MB.

Right, but I don't think bandwidth will be a problem by the time we
actually get JACK-VIDEO running with good applications.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@email-addr-hidden     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m