Re: [LAU] arch users?

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 12:07:42 EET

2009/12/2 Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>

> For my needs it seems ubuntu performs just as well as arch

Correct, because if there were any "performance" differences between
distributions in the first place, I swear I'll start using one of the BSDs
full-time =p

> and running the more
> non-standard selection of software I had going under arch means little
> strange things keeps poping up.

Also correct; for some users and their habits, workflow, arsenal of
software, it may or may not be worth the time investment. In this case, for
"control", one might want to take a look at Sabayon (since they also manage
binaries alongside portage).

In short, the benefits have nothing to do with real-world system
performance. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if things ran slower since we
don't add any kind of optimisation that bigger distros might. Our thinkers
and hackers contribute to upstream directly, we don't have our own "patches"
or "hacks" unless functionality is compromised.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD