Re: [LAU] Behold! The Web2.0 is here. Linux Audio Facebook Group

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 22:55:12 EET

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 01:12:59PM -0500, drew Roberts wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 December 2009 10:18:56 Malte Steiner wrote:
> > > Sorry, I don't do Facebook. What use are sites that require you to
> > > become a member just to see things? ;-)
> >
> > thats a good issue to bring up. Same happen at the puredata list where
> > someone suggest to use GoogleWave. What is the benefit of all these
> > WebX.0 things? I guess none, nothing which couldnt be done before
>
> I stayed away for a long time due to TOS issues but I can say that one benefit
> for the personal account holder is in fact the ability to limit what is seen
> to friends only.
>
> That does not apply to something like this though.
>
> I think it may be that we seem to live in a world where proprietary and patent
> pending are selling points for most rather than the turn offs that they are
> for me.

Agreed. As something of a Free Software zealot, I have a natural loathing for proprietary sites that require logins, and a deep suspicion of stuff like Facebook and Wave. I was kind of annoyed when a Free Software Currency project I'm involved in started using Google Docs for all the planning and document review... bypassing our own Wiki.

That said, everyone uses this stuff, it's user-friendly for the non-geeks, and it's free (for now anyway). So, I guess, some limited assimilation is inevitable.

-ken