Re: [LAU] arch users?

From: Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 04 2009 - 00:12:56 EET

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 09:50 -1000, david wrote:
> Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> >> Yup, but not too difficult to have paid support for a distro that's not
> >> owned/managed by a company.Right?
> >>
> >> all the best,
> >>
> >> drew
> > I guess. Doubt it'd be a good economic prospect in any case, considering
> > the user base either:-
> > a) doesn't need your help
> > b) needs your help but won't pay for it cos "OMGZZ THIS ISN'T WINDOWS
> > WHY SHOULD I PAY"
> >
> > Disclaimer: I use Arch myself, and I know very very few users who fall
> > into b). Few isn't none, however =)
>
> Well, I've bought Linux software in the past when FOSS software couldn't
> do what I needed it to, so there are folk who buy Linux software. I even
> bought my first Linux distro (CorelLinux).

Yes, I don't argue that purchasing Linux software is off-limits, but
that when the entirety of the software is already available free,
purchasing support is a much more iffy member for individual desktop
users, as broadly divided into the groups mentioned above.

Really, the market for paid support is (as I see it) mostly a
corporate/governmental thing, and none of those would ever consider Arch
Linux and its rolling release in any form =).