Re: [LAU] KVM virtual machines and jack

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 06 2009 - 02:07:12 EET

On 12/06/2009 08:53 AM, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 07:26:02AM +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> On 12/06/2009 06:51 AM, Reuben Martin wrote:
>>
>>> Does anybody know if it is possible to run a guest OS under KVM and
>>> have the ins and outs of the virtual audio device presented to that
>>> OS, interface with JACK on the host linux system?
>>> I've done a little googling on this but couldn't find anything.
>>> (mostly because "jack" is ambiguous, and "KVM" can mean a lot of
>>> things)
>>>
>> You can use netjack to make the connections or you might be able to wrap
>> the app with oss2jack or another similar program.
>>
> "can" but, have you done it?

I haven't used netjack yet but recently several people have reported
success with it on multiple machines on the jack-devel list.

If you can install jack and run it on the vm and you have a network
connection then netjack should work. The only possible issue I can think
of is if the network-bridge does not allow you to find the internal
ports of the host machine.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd