Re: [LAU] KVM virtual machines and jack

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 06 2009 - 03:24:41 EET

On 12/06/2009 12:12 PM, Reuben Martin wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Patrick Shirkey
> <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> On 12/06/2009 08:53 AM, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
>>
>> I haven't used netjack yet but recently several people have reported
>> success with it on multiple machines on the jack-devel list.
>>
>> If you can install jack and run it on the vm and you have a network
>> connection then netjack should work. The only possible issue I can think
>> of is if the network-bridge does not allow you to find the internal
>> ports of the host machine.
>>

> Yes, but I'm not thinking about secondary linux machines inside the
> vm. I'm contemplating the idea of having guest windows / mac systems
> and being able to interconnect audio programs on those machines with
> linux programs via jack.
>
> I know the jackmp implementation can build and run on windows, but I
> don't think that does a lot of good since windows software really
> isn't jack aware. Jack has better integration within mac, but there
> are still limitations.
>
> I'm wanting to have the virtual sound devices presented to the guest
> systems hook into an alsa loopback device which then acts as a jack
> source / destination. However I'm not really sure if I can have jack
> connect to a loopback device and the actual sound card at the same
> time. Is it possible to pair a loopback device and a real device into
> a virtual device and then connect jack to the virtual device? A more
> direct solution would be to add JACK support to KVM. (Bonus would be
> if JACK MIDI also interfaced with the virtual sound device to allow
> MIDI based transport control)

Jack2 which runs on Linux, Windows and Mac has support for netjack2. As
long as you can connect the ports this would be the fastest way to
achieve what you want.

In my experience getting a direct audio stream out of a vm is quite
painful if not outright impossible. I haven't had any success with
vmware or vitualbox in that regard.

Alternatively if you just want to run windows apps you should try with
wine as many apps work quite well and there is a native "jack-bridge"
for wine.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd