Re: [LAU] Anyone has experience with OSS (3 or 4)? (fwd)

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 12 2009 - 14:26:35 EET

Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> ... JACK is the family driver you trust
> with the keys to your car, other sound apps are the small children you
> want him driving around, not at the wheel.

Nicely put. May I quote you ?

Btw, I've been running 64 Studio 2.1 since it appeared. It's installed
on an AMD 3200+ in 64-bit mode. Flash is a bit hit or miss here,
sometimes it works perfectly, other times I have to restart Mozilla to
get it happening. But alas, it doesn't work with JACK running (no
audio). Ditto for Skype.

However, this box (Big Black) is primarily a production machine, so I
really don't give a hoot whether it supports Flash/Skype/Facewash or
whatever happens to be the audio/video comm-app du jour. I have a second
machine for those pleasures. Big Black kicks ass running Ardour, JAMin,
JACK-Rack, etc., and that's what I need it for.

Ah yes, return with us now to Studio Dave and the thrilling days of the
task-dedicated UNIX workstation. Man, if my Skool gets any Older I'll
have to retire soon. ;)

Best,

dp