Re: [LAU] piano samples

From: Leigh Dyer <leigh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 13 2009 - 13:10:16 EET

andy baxter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good quality set of free piano samples that will
> work with either fluidsynth or linux sampler, and run in under 1Gb of
> memory? I would like to find something better than the piano on the
> standard GM soundfont that comes with debian, but can't use the 'Maestro
> Concert Grand' gig file from the linux sampler site because of memory
> limitations - the machine I am using can only take up to 1Gb of memory.

You don't need 1GB of RAM free to run the large Gigasound piano samples
in LinuxSampler -- it caches some of the sound data, but leaves the rest
on disk and accesses it only as required. I'm not sure exactly how much
RAM you'd require to run it (though LinuxSampler with the Maestro patch
loaded uses about 180MB on my system, FWIW), but it should definitely
work on a system with a total of 1GB of RAM.

Thanks
Leigh