Re: [LAU] Under construction

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 14 2009 - 21:55:57 EET

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 00:47:30 -0500
frank pirrone <frankpirrone@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:

> > Hi Will,
> > The page works for me. I can play all 4 pieces. However the
> > download arrows doesn't set up a download but rather plays in my
> > browser. (In this case Firefox on a Windows Vista machine.) IT seems
> > this page has a problem some pages do that doesn't give me the choice
> > of downloading...)
> >
> > HTH,
> > Mark
> >
> Same behavior here regarding the download links simply opening a new
> Firefox tab and playing the .ogg or .mp3 file; however, if I right-click
> I do get a Save Link As option that will effect the download. Firefox
> 3.5.5 in ArtistX.
>
> Frank

This is a very curious and frustrating issue, that I've tried for ages
to get to the bottom of. I have found that Firefox will frequently
ignore its own 'applications' settings for no apparent reason, but not
on all sites. Later it may just decide to handle exactly the same site
correctly!

Where possible, I've looked at the source of both correctly and
incorrectly behaving sites and can find absolutely nothing to suggest
what is happening.

Some other browsers also seem to have issues with oggs in particular.
The only two browsers that I've found are consistently correct on this
issue are (ironically) IE and Opera :o

If anyone knows what the problem is, I - and I've no doubt a lot of
others - would be very keen to hear it!

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk