Re: [LAU] How does PulseAudio start?

From: Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 16 2009 - 00:51:33 EET

Please do not use HTML mail, it's unsightly on my (and probably other's)
machine.

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 14:23 -0600, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:

> > > In my previous load (AVLinux), all I had to do was start jackd in
> > > /etc/rc.local, tell Pulse to use Jack as its sink, and tell Pulse to
> > > daemonize via its own .conf file, and it did very well. I have tried
> > > several methods, including setting Jack and Pulse at different
> > > runlevels, but when I try to use Jack as an /etc/init.d item the boot
> > > jack log says that I don't have permission to use realtime scheduling,
> > > and it doesn't run.
> > >

> > from Cal:
> >
> > So give it permission :-). Does the user/group that your init.d script
> > uses to start jack have 'the right stuff' in /etc/security/limits.conf?
> >
> > cheers.

> > from Ng Oon-Ee:
> >
> > This identical setup works for me. What versions do you have of
> > pulse/jack? Please dump jack1 and use jack2 if you want to work with
> > pulse, there's quite a few fixes (including, coincidentally, one which
> > fixes module-jack-sink/source in pulseaudio crashing the whole daemon).
> > Of course, you need a relatively recent pulse (.16 and newer?).
> >
> > Oh, and I just noticed, please don't run JACK as root either (which is
> > what /etc/init.d does).
> >
> Well, the init.d/jack script I have tries to run it as user 'jeb',
> which is my login, which is a member of group 'audio' with appropriate
> limits.conf et cetera. jack is running rather nicely as user 'jeb'
> started using su from rc.local. But. I am very intrigued with the
> idea of running both Pulse and Jack in userland, and I am most
> astonished to learn that jack2 should be used with Pulse. So it looks
> like some good revisions are in order. Basic question: if I remove
> both pulseaudio and jack from the init.d startup set, where and how do
> they get told to run?
>
> Later, both of you :-)
>
> J.E.B.

Its not a new idea, its what has always been done. You're doing it with
jack anyway, or your jack apps wouldn't work (jackd as root won't allow
ardour as user to connect for example). Pulseaudio was also written to
function that way.

For pulseaudio (which I'm more familiar with) it gets told to run when
an app requests audio. I think Ubuntu has it in xdg-autostart, and I
believe there's other gnome mechanisms to enable it as well (its a
layered approach). Basically it should 'just work' (tm), as long as
autospawn is enabled in the /etc/pulse/client.conf file.

For jack I don't believe it auto-starts, you have to start it yourself.
I just use a simple script to do that. Most others just use qjackctl,
which normally starts jack up (with that big green triangle).