Re: [LAU] 64-bit improves audio performance?

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 18 2009 - 19:12:14 EET

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:

> Well. No change in Jack behavior with LXDE, no change from total
> removal of Pulse. Now I really wonder. 64-bit has definitely upped
> my GUI speed, often tripled my WWW speed -- but it has either not
> touched audio (synth and Jack) performance and latency, or has hurt it
> slightly! Anyone seen the same thing?

Well, I will say that I've got 8GB of physical memory, which I'm seeing
all of because I'm running 64-bit, and Ardour absolutely LOVES that. :)

It's like my whole project seems to fit in memory and nothing ever loads
from disk twice, among other benefits...

+ UNIX Systems Admin	 +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ Physical Sciences Div. +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ James Franck Institute +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky